Sunday, January 04, 2009

Struggling with identity- Vegetarianism

A few months ago I decided to add an omega 3 supplement that includes fish oil to my otherwise vegetarian diet for health reasons. (Yes, I know some people say that pure flax oil supplements are just as good for you, but I have read conflicting opinions on this matter.) My health reasons were based on new research that says omega 3 fatty acids help balance chemicals in our brains. Through regular exercise and taking both the omega 3 and also a vitamin D supplement I have overcome my mild to moderate depression without the use of prescription drugs. (I know this will not work for everyone- if you are depressed, please see your doctor!)

The addition of a decidedly non-vegetarian supplement to my diet has led to an internal dialogue for me. Why did I become vegetarian in the first place? Like most vegetarians, it was a combination of several reasons.. .

#1 Meat production is both inhumane and bad for the environment. Most meat animals are raised in a cruel way that is not only bad for the animal's health but our health as well.

#2 Why should any creature have to suffer or die so I can have a full tummy when there are so many other options?

I always talked myself out of eating fish or other seafood mainly because of the environmental impacts and pollution risks. But then recently I came across Seafood Watch. Seafood Watch helps people select seafood that is raised or caught in an environmentally friendly way, and also which of them are less polluted! Well, there goes my "fishing is bad for me and for the environment" reasoning. So that just leaves not wanting creatures to suffer and die, right? I have no doubt that fish feel pain. I do not think my life has any more value than any other animal's life. I made the decision to never eat any creature I would not be able to look in the eye and kill myself. But I know I could kill and cook and eat a fish if I wanted to. And I am a healthier and happier person at least partly due to consuming a seafood product, so perhaps seafood has a place in my stomach after all.

But what about my identity? I have been a vegetarian for many years, and it has become a part of who I am. Also, people don't seem to understand "picky" omnivores.

Are you a vegetarian? Technically, no

Would you like a hamburger? No

Pork chop? No

How about a nice piece of chicken? No. . .

See what I mean? It just makes me look like an asshole.

But last night I had a lovely meal of poached U.S. Farm Raised Tilapia in coconut milk with green mango and curry leaves.

So, I guess it is official, I am no longer a full-time vegetarian. 99% of the time I still will be, but it is enough of a change to leave me as an outsider among omnivores and an outsider among vegetarians. But I have to be myself. I will not change just to fit into one society created box or the other.

To my vegetarian brothers and sisters, I still respect and admire you all.

To my omnivorous brothers and sisters, Don't be afraid to be "picky" or eat less meat if you want to. Who cares what "the man" says?

Peace out,
Evilducky


"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 Comments:

Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Almost-vegetarians who only eat fish are somewhat common...I can think of two off the top of my head.

That said, I constantly have to explain that no, I'm not a vegetarian, but no, I don't eat anything made from pigs. No, not bacon. Not sausage. Not chops, ham, or gelatin if I can avoid it. You get used to it ;)

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:51 PM  
Blogger rabidmonkey said...

so your now vegitarian by the catholic definition of meat.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Danger said...

I know exactly how you feel. By definition I am a semivegetarian, but I think it's a stupid label and refuse to call myself that. Just go with what makes your body happy, and maybe you can try some of MacGyver's grilled salmon this year :)

8:51 AM  
Blogger The American Mutt said...

Just say you don't like redmeat and loves birds too much to eat them. Duh.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home